Heart Research Australia is looking for an exceptional Direct Marketing Manager to drive digital acquisition, donor retention and warm direct mail.
View the full position description below, or click here to download.
Position Title: Direct Marketing Manager
Location: Heart Research Australia, Level 4, Building 36, Royal North Shore Hospital
Reports to: CEO
The position of Direct Marketing Manager (DMM) is a hands-on role, responsible for developing and delivering the annual donor recruitment and retention plan to maintain and grow Heart Research Australia’s donor numbers and fundraising income through new and existing channels with a strong emphasis on Digital Acquisition.
The Direct Marketing Manager will report directly to the CEO and will work in an integrated way with the whole team. In addition to the essential skill base (listed further below), the Direct Marketing Manager will need to show initiative, be accountable and adaptable to working in a resource challenged not for profit environment.
Heart Research Australia is a fundraising organisation focused on providing financial support for innovative heart research programs. Heart Research Australia – provides financial support to two Chairs of Cardiology, early career researchers and PhD students.
Our Core Values
- Trust and Respect – for donors, community, researchers, RNSH, employees and cultures.
- Integrity – We are honest, reliable and deliver our promises. We are flexible, tolerant and hold accountability.
- Cooperation & Collaboration – With teamwork, we can make an impact.
- Passion – We believe in first stage heart research and have confidence in researchers. We are driven, committed, engaged, creative and dynamic.
- Inspiration and Innovation – Is encouraged and celebrated.
Key Results Areas:
Tasks and Accountability
Outlined below are the key areas of responsibility and associated tasks under the scope of this role:
Donor Acquisition and Retention
- Drive the implementation of the five-year growth strategy for Regular Giving using Digital Acquisition/Telemarketing
- Develop and implement strategies to acquire new donors cost effectively – consider multiple entry points into Heart Research Australia and a hospital setting to increase donor numbers.
- Project manage warm and cold direct marketing processes from beginning to end including liaison with key stakeholders and suppliers to ensure campaigns are delivered on time and within budget.
- Develop and deliver annual retention plans for both existing and new donors:
- Oversee the development and implementation of a welcome program to new supporters with integration into the donor care program.
- Develop strategies to ensure donors are appropriately and cost effectively stewarded to maximise donor retention.
- Manage donor enquiry and complaints.
- Work with the Communications Executive to develop appropriate messaging, theming and story development for fundraising related communications – online and offline.
Evaluation and Reporting
- Analyse and evaluate fundraising data to drive acquisition and retention strategies
- Undertake data analysis to obtain data insights to inform the strategy and plans
- Liaise with the Accounts Clerk to ensure processing procedures accurately capture data required for fundraising analysis and reporting at a program level.
- Manage the monthly fundraising income report.
- Work with the Finance Manager to provide regular management reports for the CEO and Board as required.
- Work with the CEO and Finance Manager, develop and manage expense budgets and income projections and provide performance reports as required for all relevant areas of fundraising.
- Ensure all fundraising activities are conducted within all applicable state and federal laws.
- Ensure work undertaken is compliant with National Privacy Principles
- Ensure all work produced is in accordance with Heart Research Australia’s Style Guidelines
- Any other relevant compliance regimes including OH&H
- Ensure compliance of FIA’s Code of Conduct
- Contribute positively to team cohesion.
- Collaborate and share strategies and ideas to integrate across the team and gain leverage within the organisation.
- Undertake such other marketing and fundraising related activities as may be required.
- Keep abreast of the latest trends, strategies, results and best practice Marketing and Fundraising programs.
- Marketing and Fundraising Coordinator (part-time)
- 5 + years’ experience in a fundraising or not for profit environment.
- Sound experience with Digital Advertising
- Proven background in the execution of direct marketing campaigns.
- Strong data analysis skills and ability to interpret data insights into strategic direction.
- Demonstrated experience working with data including targeting, segmenting and testing.
- Proven experience working with acquisition and retention channels.
- Demonstrated experience building effective working relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Collaborative style of management, with a can-do attitude.
- Ability to take direction as well as self-manage and work autonomously.
- Sound knowledge of and experience with databases.
- Strong writing skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience handling competing priorities whilst meeting deadlines and KPIs.
- Proven budget management skills.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills (particularly Word and Excel).
- Experience with Salesforce or related fundraising database
- Experience working with Facebook Advertising specifically