Roast apples with pistachio nuts
- A low-fat, high-fibre dessert
- Apples are a good source of vitamins and minerals
- To reduce the calories, don't add the spread
4 large Cox or gala apples
4 tablespoons low-fat yoghurt
25 g heart-recommended spread
4 small cinnamon sticks
40 g pistachio nuts or almonds
Juice of 1 large orange
3 tablespoons brown sugar
100 g raisins or sultanas
100 ml grappa or brandy
Preheat oven to 170° Celsius.
- Core apples using apple corer or very small paring knife, and place them in ovenproof dish.
- Divide the spread into four, and stuff into middle of each apple, then push in cinnamon stick.
- Scatter with nuts and fruit.
- Pour grappa and orange juice over the apples and bake in oven for 20–30 mins.
- Remove from oven and baste with juices.
- Test fruit with a skewer to see if it is cooked.
- Serve warm with the yoghurt.
Recipe courtesy of Fran Neylon, a chef and registered nurse.