Meatball soup Milanese
We have modified this traditional recipe so that it is lower in saturated fat, higher in soluble fibre and lower in salt – heart healthy!
If you cook the mince without adding fat, it will have fewer calories. Remember to look for ‘heart smart' or premium or heart-tick mince.
Serves 4, suitable for freezing
400 g lean beef mince
100 g red kidney beans (rinsed from the can)
2 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
1⁄2 cup fresh wholemeal bread crumbs
1⁄3 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
1 egg lightly beaten
2 tins canned diced
3 cups (750ml) reduced-
1⁄2 cup risoni pasta
2 zucchini, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stick, diced
1 onion, finely diced
150 g green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds
- Combine mince, kidney beans, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, basil and egg in a large bowl, season with pepper and mix well.
- Roll tablespoons of the mixture into bite-sized balls and place on a large plate.
- Mix canned tomatoes, stock, 2 cups of water and bay leaves in a large deep saucepan, cover and bring to the boil.
- Add the meatballs to the soup and return to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add risoni pasta and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, green beans, celery and carrot and cook for another 5 minutes or until risoni pasta and vegetables are tender.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls.