Easy beef hotpot
1kg chuck or blade steak, cubed
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons paprika
425 g can crushed tomatoes
2 medium onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 sticks celery, sliced
2 large carrots, thickly sliced
1 turnip, cut into large chunks
3 medium potatoes, cut into large chunks
1 cup red wine or stock
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Toss meat, flour and paprika in a plastic bag, tip into a heavy casserole dish.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Press a piece of baking paper over the ingredients and cover closely with a lid.
- Cook for 2 hours without lifting the lid.
- Check for seasoning and tenderness, returning to oven if more cooking time is required.
Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed green vegetables.
Recipe from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2008, reproduced with permission.