Heart research saves lives
Heart Research Australia raises funds for research into the treatment and prevention of heart disease and associated medical conditions.
Our goal is to reduce the devastating impact of the disease on the community.
Current research includes using stem cells to repair damaged heart muscles, cell function in heart attacks, heart function in premature babies, and identifying triggers for heart attack.
Our focus is seed-funding for cardiac researchers to investigate new areas. The aim is to make their work competitive for grants from national bodies such as the National Health and Medical Research Council.
Heart Research Australia also funds:
- two academic Chairs of Cardiology, in association with the University of Sydney: the Chair of Cardiology (Professor Helge Rasmussen) and Chair of Preventative Cardiology (Professor Geoffrey Tofler)
- several PhD scholarships in heart research
- The Department of Cardiology's North Shore Cardiovascular Education Centre, which offers rehabilitation and education for heart patients
- infrastructure, such as specialist research equipment.
- specialist research support staff
Rehabilitation and education
Through several continuing programs we help cardiac patients develop and maintain better health and well-being.
Linking with our community
Heart Research Australia depends entirely on the financial support of the community: individuals, community groups, trusts and foundations, and corporate organisations.
To attract support we undertake cost-effective and appropriate fundraising activities. This in turn supports researchers in their quest for novel ways to reduce cardiovascular risk and morbidity.
Through our newsletter, community events and other activities we also promote awareness of the urgent need to support heart research.
Member of the Fundraising Institute of Australia
|Heart Research Australia is an organisational member of the Fundraising Institute of Australia (FIA) and abides by the FIA's Principles and Standards of Fundraising Practice – the fundraiser's guide to ethical, accountable and transparent fundraising.